Facebook just launched clickable hashtags for users to apply on their posts. The update is a direct response to a broader and easier content discovery strategies for marketers. While most marketers rely on sponsored stories for promote their pages, hashtags will be more convenient for users who don't follow a particular page but is posting relevant content to a user.
Facebook says that hashtags on the social network will pave the way to more features for people to discover relevant and interesting discussions, public events, and topics. Like the clickable hastags on Twitter, Instagram and, Pinterest, Facebook hashtags will allow users to add more context to their posts in order to link them to a larger audience talking about the same topic or trend.
According to Facebook's blog, here's how it works:
- The ability to search for specific hashtags via the Facebook search bar
- The ability to click on hashtags that originate from other services, like Instagram
- The ability to create new posts from within the hashtag feed and search results
- The ability to add hashtags to Facebook ads you're running
Marketers and business owners will have their hands full in using hashtags to integrate their campaigns across multiple channels which should increase content promotion while centralizing the engagement for trending topics, events, contests, and other promotions
Here are some tips to get you started with a hashtag marketing:
- Create original and fresh hashtags which aren't being used yet
- Combine your hashtags with industry or branded keywords
- Integrate your hashtag campaign by incorporating it with other channels like email, landing pages, forums ,etc.
- Avoid hijacking popular hashtags that aren't even relevant to your content, this will irk fans and potential customers.
- Create a call-to-action hashtag but make sure it's short yet direct.